Monday, August 7, 2017

Meet The Maker Mondays... this week featuring Freak + Pocky

Hi guys!

So Im back this week with my first (in like FOREVER) maker feature! I am wanting to make this a weekly gig, so if you, or any makers you know of, need a little Tawny sized spot light send them my way! 
But enough about me... back to the show!

This weeks maker is Kelly, from Freak & Pocky... I have cyber met Kelly through a facebook group we are both members of... she is set to launch her new Storenvy shop this week & I dont know about you guys, but I see some perfect Geeky Christmas gifts in my future! 

Make sure you guys check out her shop & all her social links below & show this girl some love!

So here you go my friends... lets meet Freak + Pocky

Tell us a little about yourself, your family, and your life outside of the studio...
Hey there! So my name is Kelly but around the internet I'm better known as Apockylypse, or Pocky for short.

I live in Kentucky with the geek of my life, who I've been married to for 6 years, and our 14 year old rescue Skylar. I currently work an 8-5 "zombie job" in addition to our little shop, but in my free time I am usually found gaming with our group of friends or crafting. Yep, I even craft in my free time. What can I say?! I've been a craft addict since birth.

We're also working on piecing together a new computer for me so that I can start streaming games + creative on Twitch, which I'm getting pretty excited about.

How long have you been creating/selling...

I've just about been crafting my entire life. I remember designing my first cross stitch project with my Mimmy when I was just 5 years old, drawing X's on some fabric and learning how to cross each stitch. We even turned it into a game when trying to poke through the right spot for that next stitch. That one moment created the craft addict monster that I have become. Anytime I saw my mom or grandmothers making something, I just had to pester them to teach me how to do it. 

Selling is another story. I've sold a piece here & there to friends, but until this last year most of my projects have been gifts for birthdays or holidays. I've wanted to open up my own little online shop for years but was always a little scared putting it out there until now.



What inspires your designs?...

My inspiration comes from the things I love, especially the geeky/nerdy things. Most of my poppets are my take on some of my favorite fandoms out there: anime, movies + video games.

What is the one thing in the craft/art world you wish you could do? (ie. sew, pottery)

I have dabbled in a lot of different crafts, but the one that I'm most scared to try but would love to have the ability/skill to do is sculpting with clay. I have spent hours watching some creative Twitch streamers make the most amazing figures + sculpts for masks.

Any Advice to artist/designers just starting out...

Don't let fear keep you from doing what you have a passion for + don't wait for that "perfect" moment to start. 

And if you claim you aren't crafty + creative, you just haven't found the right craft. I'm a firm believer that everyone is creative in their own way and make sure to tell my friends this every time they deny it. And it makes me so happy to see them find that one thing that makes the creativity click!


Where can we find you? (facebook, insta, online shop



Thanks to Kelly A.K.A Pocky for letting us peek into her maker world!


Make today awesome! 
♥ Tawny



2 comments:

Freak + Pocky said...

Thanks so much for featuring me + the shop!

Just.Tawny said...

My pleasure! Thank you for being my 1st Maker feature for my blog rebirth! ❤