Saturday, June 18, 2011

"The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone...."

My Dad...

   My first memory of my father is sitting in the front seat of his blue Ford Mustang, wrapped in this jean jacket that smelled soooo good and singing "Dem Bones." 
   That was one of my favorite things about my dad, his songs... we would ride around and sing things like "Three-six-nine the goose drank wine  The monkey chewed tobacco on the street car line..." and "theres a hole!! theres a hole!! theres a hole at the bottom of the sea!!!"  We would listen to Learn to Speak German tapes on our way to daycare... and count  "eins... zwei... drei... vier..." {okay, I didnt really like that part very much... but I do remember playing along!}

   My dad & I havent had the typical "daddys little girl" relationship. I came along like a lightening bolt, a great big shock at first and then rumbling and noise for years later. He was just starting off his life, ready to go out and take over the world and Im sure single father wasnt in his plans... but he did it.

  I regret the years I missed with him...being stupid and stubborn... {like father like daughter} and have cherished every moment we have spent rebuilding our relationship.  I have his sense of humor and slight flair for the dramatic {though he will NEVER admit to the latter}
 



I am honored to have him in my life.
Thank you Dad... for teaching me how to be tough and roll with the punches... and pushing me to be the best I can be. Even though most of the time you didnt think I was listening. ;)

So, its Fathers Day ...the day where Dads everywhere are celebrated with neckties and handmade ash trays... days of golfing without complaints that the gutters need a good cleaning and in my dads case where he would get a giant cookie cake, or bag of chips ahoy {or both} all to himself.

Happy Fathers Day Dad!

 

And to all the dads who are, and to all that didnt have to be... thank you. I love you.

Be good to each other,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another cupcake lover!! YEEHAW! I see you are joining the Mad Tea Party from A Fanciful Twist!! So am I! I will for sure stop by Saturday to have tea. I am a novice cupcake artist and lover all things tea party... ~Trish

You can call me Tawny.... said...

Wonderful Trish!!
See you there!

Glad to meet you! ;)

♥ Tawny