Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Sunday Dinner Dedication...

The tiny Diva and I spent a bit of our afternoon with our Granny today... I always love watching Bella interact with her, and find it amazing that she explores that house the exact same way I did as a child... why is underneath my grannys dinning room table so exciting?

My granny, 86 years young... forgets who I am sometimes. But she ALWAYS remembers that tiny diva!


This is my granny... at 18. You can read a bit more about her HERE

I found a few treasures while we were visiting... my granny and grandpas Marriage licence {astoundingly beautiful!} and a trove of old cookbooks!

I imagined her in the kitchen, apron on, searching for the perfect recipe to make my grandpa for dinner... and wished Chris and I could take a time machine back to 1951.

After a bit of begging, granny let me take this beauty home...

Yeah... that's a Sears and Roebuck cookbook!!!

Its more than amazing! Filled with all kinds of helpful tips for the American housewife! Today I learned how to pack an attractive and healthful lunch for my husband and children... {"The men in the family will prefer spicy condiments and sauces on their sandwiches, while the school child will like a mild more delicate flavor."} I am so in love!

As I was reading bits and pieces to my chef I came across a marked page and knew exactly what today's feature would be...

My Granny cooked most of my meals as a child, and out of thousands of dishes... there are 2 that will always remind me of her... Pink Stuff {which we will get to closer to Thanksgiving} And her waffles!

There was nothing in this universe better than my Granny's waffles! One of the best gifts she ever gave me was her waffle iron so I could make Sunday morning waffles for the kiddos!

I hope you enjoy...


JoAnna Dodson's Waffles

Ingredients
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 whole eggs, beaten
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
16 ounces buttermilk, room temperature

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, soda, baking powder, salt,cinnamon and sugar. In another bowl beat together eggs, vanilla and melted butter, and then add the buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.


Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the iron cook until the waffle is golden on both sides and is easily removed from iron. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.

I know its simple... ridiculously so... but I sware you can taste the love and the magic in every bite.

Be good to each other!
♥ Tawny

PS...
she also gave me a 1936 copyright Pride and Prejudice... my all time favorite book!

No comments: