Saturday, May 21, 2011

Three Red Apples.... new artist feature!

I know I told you guys a long time ago that I would start doing more artist features here on the blog... and well, that kinda got forgotten put on the back burner for awhile...
until I came across one of the sweetest little shops ever!
I would like you to meet Annabelle from
Annabelle's work makes me think of clothes lines full of summer dresses and peony gardens along cobblestone paths... and tea time with gypsies. I simply love it can you tell?? ;)
Anyhooo.... I hope you enjoy learning about Annabelle and her little cottagie life in the UK
 {I know, cottagie is not really a word but it seems appropriate here..}
Enjoy!
1} Tell us a little about yourself, your family, and your life outside of the studio...
My name is Annabelle Ozanne. I'm a 32 years old French girl who, 15 years ago (eeek!!) crossed the Channel from Brittany to the UK to go to uni, met a boy, fell in love and never left. I live in a small cottage in Devon, England, with said boy (he will love being referred to as a boy, being an eternal kid at heart) and Jack-the-dog.

2} How long have you been creating/selling?
A couple of years ago, I lost my job as a web designer (a little blessing in disguise) which prompted some serious re-thinking. Unsure of what to do next, it took a good 6 months for the light bulb moment to come. It finally dawned on me that I could put my sewing machine and piles of fabric to good use. Until then I had done very little sewing. I stumbled upon some freehand machine embroidery and got hooked. My Etsy shop and blog soon followed.

3} What inspires your designs?
It can be anything, an object, a place, some fabric, a feeling, a memory, an aspiration, humour, people... Whatever it is, I have to be in a positive mood to feel creative - or is it that creating puts me in a positive mood? I think the two take it in turn like two old chums.

4} Out of curiosity, what are the tools/materials of your trade?
My (very basic) trusty sewing machine (a present from my man many Christmas’ ago), an embroidery foot, thread and as much fabric, mostly vintage, as I can get my hands on! I have also recently started throwing paint into the mix.

5} What is the one thing in the craft/art world you wish you could do? (ie. paper crafting, sculpting, etc.)
I would love to have a go at screen-printing. It looks so much fun! It ‘s certainly one I am saving for later, when I get a little spare time. I am currently dipping my toe into crocheting.

6} Any Advice to artist/designers just starting out...
Make what you love and make it your own. It’s easy to get distracted with so many talented folk online. Etsy is such a gold mine! When you are starting out it can be a little overwhelming, but if you make only what you would be proud to have in your own home, you’ve got to be on the right track.

7} Where can we find your work?
I have an Etsy shop (etsy.com/shop/threeredapples), and my own little online shop Three Red Apples
 I also like to share my various experiments (as well and other ramblings) on my Blog, and on Flickr.




{You can also follow sweet Annabelle on Facebook and Twitter}


So get to clickin folks and go spend a minute in the world of Three Red Apples... your eyes will thank you for it!


Be good to each other!

♥Tawny

No comments: